Monday, January 12, 2015

Goodbye, Passau! - Passau - Week 11 ~ Hello, Offenburg! - Week 1

Hello Friends and Family,

So, as things turn out, this is my last week in Passau. It sure has been a wild ride. I love this place, and I really hope I can come back someday. The interesting thing is that there are 30 missionaries leaving and only 6 coming, then next transfer there are 30 more leaving, and 10 or so coming. Then the next transfer 30 leave and 10 come. So we lose 60 missionaries or so in the next few months. Areas are being closed everywhere and we're down a lot of missionaries. So hopefully that means a bunch of the guys from high school get called here!

 Honestly, they need someone who is really experienced in Passau because they closed the sisters here and one of us kind of expected to leave.  Elder Barnhart is training again (because he is SO good at it) and I am headed to Lahr!  Elder Barnhart has a 4-man job on his shoulders here in Passau and he's a little stressed out about it. 
(; Hahaha

Passau to Offenburg GERMANY
I'll be living in a 4-man apartment with some really cool missionaries, including the one that trained Elder Barnhart, and my new companion is Elder Mohn. 

Sidenote:  His mom found my mom and sent her a friend request on Facebook, then copied our family picture, and sent it to Elder Mohn to see if she had the right family!  He said, "Mom, you're already creeping on my new companion!  Yes, that's him!"  His mom says that Elder Mohn is a funny guy and a hard worker who likes to take lots of pictures on P-day!  Their family is from Arizona.

It should really be a fun and exciting new area, the thing that sucks is leaving and saying goodbye to everybody. But, I'm really excited for Lahr, it's in the middle of Schwarzwald and right on the border of France. So I've been to 2 corners out of the 3 in the mission that I can go to. My guess is that I will be in Lahr for a long time. Dad will have to ask Elder Bartholomew about Lahr. Elder Bartholomew sure has done some great good here.  I'm honored to follow him.  Not much to tell about investigators. Nobody has had time to meet. We have met some really, really cool people on the street who love to talk, but have no interest. I think the biggest miracle of my mission so far is the lack of a language boundary. I don't feel any stress over speaking or understanding German. Just a desire to become fluent. I'm sure that point will come.

One of the best parts of my weekend was yesterday. They asked us all (4 missionaries) to bear our testimonies in Sacrament Meeting and we decided to sing the EFY Medley in German.

One of the awesome things, is that since our zone is partly in Switzerland, we get to go to the temple in Switzerland every transfer. I will probably also be there for a long time, because Elder Mohn goes home in 2 transfers, and I will probably be staying through the summer when all the new missionaries come in.  (Don't worry Mom, I'm already packed, you don't have do it for me again - Thank heavens.)

Thanks to those who sent me things for Christmas and I want to send my greatest condolences to the Lires family. Sister Lires had a great affect on my life and I will forever remember her example of gratitude, reverence and love whenever we would take the sacrament to her.  No matter how awful she felt, she insisted on kneeling to show proper respect.  

An eventful week over here with transfers.  I'm really excited to be doing what I am doing, and I love missionary work! That's all for this week. Have an awesome week everybody, I hope to hear from you!  Love,  
Elder Samuel Hadfield
Friedrichstrasse 26
77654 Offenburg
Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment