Monday, June 13, 2016

Haag - Week 2


God is Great, (Alcohol Free) Beer is Good, and People are Crazy

Servus und eine liebe Grüße an alle von euch!  Soll ich einfach das ganze auf Deutsch schreiben?!

No, you probably wouldn't get it at all. This week has been yet again, challenging, but rewarding. The things I'm learning one by one are helping me out quite a bit. This next month in Europe, there is nothing but ️, which makes for interesting missionary work. Whenever one of these three countries plays, everyone is at home or in the bar watching. Tricky for us, you see? It also makes things interesting, because we live above a Turkish bar, and a Sports Gambling shop. The Turks have been out until 5 am the past 3 days. That keeps us up at night, but at the same time, it is pretty entertaining to watch. 

So, a cool story from this week. Turns out, my DAD served in this area 40 years ago. WHAT?! I got up in Testimony Meeting yesterday and said something about it, and a couple members were whispering like, "oh yeah, I knew I remembered that name from somewhere!" I've met people who still remember my father and his missionary work.

In his e-mail to me last week, my dad told me about one guy, Christian Hones, who was a young man here when my dad was on his mission, and served his own mission a little later. Well, I found his name in our member list, and made it a goal to go by on him and find more out. Elder Liechty didn't really know anything, but we did go by. We met him just as he was coming home from playing the accordion in an old folk’s home. He's a little more than half blind now, which makes it next to impossible for him to come to church, but he has a burning testimony of the gospel.

I decided to put him to the test. When I greeted him, I said, "Hallo, Ich bin der Elder Hadfield." He froze for a second and thinking about it, he then said, "You wouldn't happen to know the Elder Hadfield that served here 40 years ago, would you?" "You bet, that's my dad." When he heard those words, he started crying real tears and threw both arms around me and hugged me with all the strength of his frail old body. After our conversation, he said, "You remind me exactly of your dad. The tone of your voice, your laugh, the way you speak German. You are exactly like your Father, he was a great missionary."

 That blew me completely away. The missionary service of my dad is remembered here over 40 years later? Are you serious?! That's taught me a lesson this week, und zwar, the Mission of the One. One Mission, One Missionary, can change the course of history. As a missionary, you often feel very small. You are one in 75,000. What difference could you possibly make? Then, to think about it deeper, the Mission of The One made ALL the difference. Jesus Christ was one in billions of people that have lived on the earth. But He was The Son of God, and His mission changed the world.

So can mine. So can yours. How cool is THAT?! I love this gospel, and I love this work. I love our God, He is a God of Miracles and of Power. 

Have a good week, enjoy it. Ponder on your current mission on this earth. Make it one to be remembered. 

Elder Sam Hadfield





No comments:

Post a Comment