Heroes Get Remembered, But Legends Never Die
Hey
Family and Friends, First person to get the movie quote in my subject line
is a winner!
First
of all, a little shoutout to my little brother who got his mission
call this week and is headed to POLAND about a month after I get home.
Thanks
to everyone for the birthday wishes. 20 feels old, but it's nice to
have a PDay birthday. For
my birthday, we actually hiked up to a castle here. It was closed on Mondays,
but they left the gates open.... hehehe.
We
went and walked through the whole thing, and were probably in rooms nobody
should be in. We saw written documents from the year 780. How nuts is that??
Wow.
What a week. I feel like an 80 year old man every single day. All of a
sudden, the hardest thing I do everyday is try to wake myself up in the morning, and not fall asleep during studies. that's
part of getting old on the mission
I think. It's weird to think that I would be coming home in a month if I hadn't taken the extension. Glad I did
though.
So
this week, I got my new companion, my greenie. Elder Walter, from Frankfurt
area. A GERMAN BABY. It's so cool training someone from one of the countries in your mission, there's something
special about it. I'm starting to
realize how much German I actually do know and how good it has become from my first few transfers. He's
lived in Shanghai for the past 4
years, and it's really cool to hear stories from there, especially how the church functioned. He speaks pretty
good English, I think. But, we
haven't spoken a single word to each other in a language that isn't German. It's going pretty well.
Naturally, there are some
differences when you hook up a companionship from two different nations, but for the most part, we are doing
just fine.
On his first day, we taught A together. We talked about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and it was a powerful, powerful lesson. Another top 10 lesson on my mission. I told Elder Walter before we started that when he felt the spirit really strong, that was the point to invite him to baptism. So Elder Walter invited him to baptism and he accepted. How about that for a first day, first teaching appointment of your greenie's mission? It was one of those lessons where I walk out, and just can't stop fist pumping and jumping around like I just won a huge baseball game. It was that good. I never pictured fist pumping as a part of the mission, but hey, when the adrenaline runs, what else can you do? The baptism date is on September 3.
| Elder Hadfield / Elder Walter |
On his first day, we taught A together. We talked about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and it was a powerful, powerful lesson. Another top 10 lesson on my mission. I told Elder Walter before we started that when he felt the spirit really strong, that was the point to invite him to baptism. So Elder Walter invited him to baptism and he accepted. How about that for a first day, first teaching appointment of your greenie's mission? It was one of those lessons where I walk out, and just can't stop fist pumping and jumping around like I just won a huge baseball game. It was that good. I never pictured fist pumping as a part of the mission, but hey, when the adrenaline runs, what else can you do? The baptism date is on September 3.
I've
been starting to realize how much this area has struggled in the past
couple years. I can count on one hand the number of new investigators found in THIS area THIS year before I
got here. The members have kind of
lost faith in the missionary work, and personally, I would find it so much easier to just go from less active
to less active having useless appointments every
single day, rather than to go out
and find new people, but that's not our job, is it? A is a big glimmer of faith right now for the whole
ward and for us. Please pray for
us and him.
I
guess as a little spiritual side of the week, I'll add something. On Wednesday, Transfer Day, I was at Salzburg Hauptbahnhof, and I had to watch
Elder Lyman and Elder Jensen, as well as a slew of other guys who have become my best friends in the mission, jump
on the train to go home. As I held
tiny little Elder Jensen, I realized how heart wrenching and cruel this is. Guys that I've lived with
and worked with for 2 years have
become my best friends, and all of a sudden, they're gone. Realizing that, and hugging guys who feel like
brothers to me, the tears just
came. Hard. They wouldn't really go away after a while either. Not after the train doors closed, not after
the train started to go and Elder
Apel and I ran the length of the platform with the train, tears flowing, waving goodbye. Not after a
couple hours. It's still taking
its toll on me. Realizing that I'm one of the next ones isn't too easy either. Life is all about that I suppose. I can hardly
wait to be with some of my brothers again,
especially my real brothers (and
sister). Heartwrenching to get ready to leave, exciting at the same time. I've still got a little while to think that
all through though.
Just
a reminder, Heroes Get Remembered, But Legends Never Die. My
mission brothers are legends to me. People connected with memories that will never die.
Love
you all, have a good week.
Elder
Sam Hadfield
No comments:
Post a Comment